Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I Gotta Lotta Pep aka Scooter

I Gotta Lotta Pep
aka Scooter


This is Scooter as a yearling, he is officially a 2 year old now. Not a great picture of him. He was going through that gangily stage, little butt high and the halter makes his head look horrible. He has nice legs and good feet. His parts flow together pretty nicely. He does have a really cute head with little foxy ears and a soft eye. If I could change one thing it would be his neck. It just is a litte thicker than I like but I think that when he goes into training that may resolve itself some.

He was born in late May 2008 so he really isn't quite a 2 year old yet. He is one of the boys that had brain surgery over the holidays. His dam is a bay and his sire is a palomino. His dam's first foal was a buckskin and her second foal was a bay roan. Both of them were by the same sire. Scooter was her 3rd foal by a different sire and I was hoping to get another baby with some color. As you can see, I got red. All red. This poor boy doesn't have a white hair anywhere! Good news is that he doesn't show the dirt. He is quiet and a real thinker. If you show him something one time chances are that he will remember it the next time and be more than willing to comply. My only complaint about him so far is that his feet tend to get stuck to the ground. If he gets confused or ? his feet don't move. He usually jumps right in the trailer and the other day he started to get right in, put the two front feet in. Horses in a pasture behind him started running and bucking and he stopped and wouldn't move. Front feet in, hind feet on solid ground. Stuck. Wouldn't go forward, wouldn't go back. Just froze. This is probably a good thing, he doesn't get stupid and try to run or jump around but it is very frustrating. I am not going to take him to the trainer until next winter. I don't have the money to play in the futurity shows and I see no reason to start them until they are at least two and a half to three years old. I have even thought about starting him myself. He may be a good one for me to test my skills on. I will have to see where I am at with a place to ride before I make that a final decision.

1 comment:

  1. He sure is a pretty boy. (There is no bad color for a good horse and he sounds like he might be that.) A thinker. Good thing. Bad for trailer loading, but....If he is not rushed.

    ReplyDelete