Monday, March 22, 2010

Now I know how a horse feels!

On Friday after work I went home and took a nap. After my little cat nap, which I never do, I got up and fed the horses and swept mopped the floors. We had purchased a Tilapia dinner from Trader Joes that I decided to cook it for dinner. I started to eat when the cramps started. They were pretty intense. They went on till about 10 pm when I finally went to my husband and said "Take me to the the ER". We had to go to Chico because Oroville's ER is a death trap literally. Another story for another day. It takes 25 minutes to get there but on Friday it only took about 15, my husband was really worried and his driving reflected it. I got to the ER room and it was full. I had to sit and wait. I waited for an hour and a half before they admitted me. I told them over and over again that I was having severe cramping but because my blood levels were so low they just knew that I was bleeding internally somewhere! I went through all the tests they asked me too and still they were not believing me that it didn't have anything to do with my iron levels. My surgeon came in and within 5 minutes told me what was going on and had me off to surgery. He said that a small piece if my bowel had gotten caught in the loop of another piece cutting off the blood flow,causing my symptoms and pain. My first thought was... crap I just had colic surgery. I had a bout of colic. Now I know first hand how it feels and let me tell you... IT HURTS, Probably the most intensive pain I have ever experienced - including child birth. Next time you horse has a gut ache or anything like that.... cut him or her some slack. I can now understand how fast it comes on and how really painfully it is.

Things are getting back to normal but I really wanted to show the first weekend in April and the doc isn't being very cooperative. I know better than to do anything stupid, but it won't stop me from asking. Training lady is riding semper for me till I am 100% back in the saddle which is a really good thing.

2 comments:

  1. My God, sorry about your bought of colic! I hope you get back in the saddle soon! Funny how things happen so quickly! I once was driving home from work (1.5 hour drive) and got really sick with a stomach flu. I thought I was going to die, didn't make it to the ER, just couldn't bare the thought of getting in the car, plus I was being sick every 5 minutes, so no use going there. I knew what I had and did what I had to. The next morning, I was still feeling sick... and I got a call that my grandpa had just passed... this qualifies as the worst day of my life so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like it! that is a pretty bad day. Don't think that I could top it.

    ReplyDelete