Monday, April 11, 2011

2nd horse show

Saturday was the second horse show in the series of four at SCR. I don't show until the afternoon so I didn't jump out of bed. I was having a cup of coffee on the deck with my husband when we heard a large crash. Upon further examination - ha ha - it was a chunk of our ceiling in the kitchen that had fallen. We got a lot of rain this year and our house has a section of roof that is flat and it ALWAYS leaks. This year we thought we had it under control. Obviously not. Last week hubby called me and told me that a section had come down and how I owed him for cleaning it up. He has been obsessing over repairing it all week. So when this piece fell, I laughed and was immediately given a very perturbed look. No appreciation for my sense of humor at all. I helped him clean up some and then he told me to get going. He didn't have to say it twice. :)

I left the house and stopped to get a sugar-free non-fat mocha with carmel- it is better than it sounds. As I was waiting I looked one more time at the entry info and realized that I had memorized the wrong pattern. I had been memorizing pattern 2, I was supposed to be running pattern 8. OOPS. I got to the barn at around noon and they were just getting ready to break for an hour lunch. When they started back up it would be my first class - the Rookie Class. I got Semper out and warmed up. I really worked hard in the warm up. I "raised my expectations" and asked him to do things perfect. I worked until they were about 3 in front of me. I figured it would give him about 15 minutes to air up but still be ready to go. I entered the arena still feeling good about our warm up. I did the spins to the left, then to the right and then went blank. I knew I was supposed to start to the right but I couldn't remember how the circles went. Crap. So I ran half of pattern 2 and half of pattern 8 and basically just schooled through. He went where I told him to, he was soft and compliant. I was brain dead.

The next class is Green Reiner. I had gone back and really looked at the pattern and had it down. Spent some more time warming up and he was working hard. Ran the pattern like I knew what I was doing. We scored a 69.5 - only lost 1/2 pt on the right roll back. I was stoked. I was the 3rd to the last to go so I decided to wait to see where I landed in the grand scheme of things. I ended up tying for 3rd (out of 11). I think that 69.5 is my best score to date. Very happy with my boy.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! That is a fabulous score! I havent gotten above 67 yet...but theres hope I think!

    Im concerned about learning two patterns for one day. This summer I will be in two divisions, one which already has their pattern posted, but the other will be posted the day-of. I hope I dont run the two together and get lost! Flashbacks to my h/j days forgetting the course...

    I look forward hearing more about your shows to come! Any photos for the next ones, perhaps? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just keep on working, you will get there. I am always happy when I do better than I did the time before and that is always my goal. Where I fall in the mix is just icing on the cake. :)

    Patterns have always been difficult for me. Even more so when I study the wrong one. :)
    I think that you are better off not knowing what two patterns you will have ahead of time. You can concentrate on the first one. Then after you are done, focus on the second one. TL has told me that you should never study two at a time.

    I wish I could get some pictures or video. Unfortunately the arena doesn't lend itself well for pictures. It is an indoor with sun shades.

    ReplyDelete