Thursday, May 31, 2012

Bob update...



I took Bob for a ride at the lake on Memorial Day.  I picked my favorite trail because I thought that it would be less traveled.  Ha ha ha.  We saw lots of house boats with loud music blaring and dogs barking. We saw rabbits, turkeys, ducks, geese, and a whooping crane. We saw bicyclers clad in Lycra and shiny helmets. We had a game warden come at us an his Polaris ATV at about 30 miles an hour. We went through gates, over bridges and creeks. Up and down hills, through grassy areas, over logs and down rocky paths. We walked, long trotted and loped. Bob spooked and whirled several times. What you would expect from a green 3 year old.  We had been out for about two hours on the trail and were about to the point where I was going to start heading back and we came around a corner to see - picture this...  an older, heavy set, gray haired man, in a red Hawaiian print shirt, Bermuda shorts, hugging a large pine tree.  Actually he was trying to untie his house boat that was tethered to the tree. The tree was kind of leaning over the lake and he had shimmied up the tree had his body laying on the tree and both arms and legs wrapped around the tree.  As I approached the man turned his face towards me and said hello.  It was at this point Bob literally looks back at me as if to say "o.k. I give. I don't know what you are expecting but I have seen it all and I don't care anymore."  Bob turns back to the trail, drops his head and just continued walking like the guy wasn't even there. From that point on... he didn't spook at a thing. He just put his head down and walked, trotted and loped like an old seasoned horse.   I think we had a "moment".


3 comments:

  1. Hmmm....it will be interesting to see how he reacts on the next ride. I wonder if he will find a need to be reactive in the beginning, or not. Sounds like you had a great ride, in between a few moments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to the next ride out, hopefully we can go out again this weekend. We worked in the arena on Tuesday and he was more than willing to go to work walking and trotting small circles. :) I think he was a still a little worn out from his big Memorial Day adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kel--that sounds absolutely perfect. Like he really got the point.

    ReplyDelete