Thursday, November 19, 2009

Weight part 2

I decided to go to the consultation. It required a 2 hour class prior to going to meet the doctor. I went and a team of nurses went over all the steps involved in the surgeries that they did at the clinic and the services they offered. It was well done, professional and informative. I had made a list of questions and they answered every one. Then I went to meet the Dr. - I was still wondering what he was going to say. Maybe I was being naive, but I still thought that there might be a chance that I was not over weight enough to quality for surgery. I weighed 252 lbs. He was kind and soft spoken. He went over the surgery options a second time and said that I should review the information that they gave me and if I had any questions to call him. But the decision of whether or not to go through with this was completely up to me and so was the type of procedure. No pressure. I was to go home and think about it, they would follow up with me in a few days to see what I had decided. I talked to my friends and family, tossed and turned, suffered a couple sleepless nights, and finally made my decision.

I decided to have the gastric bypass surgery - but here are the guidelines I set for my self

1. I was going to follow their instructions to the letter.
2 I was going to commit to a complete lifestyle change - 100%
3. I was NOT going to be sick. I was going to follow the prescribed diet. Not going to complain, not going to be a baby!
4. I was going to go into this with a positive attitude that everything was going to go smoothly, I was going to be successful and I was going to be healthy!

I went through all the required classes, evaluations, Dr. appointments, support groups, etc. Never missed one.

My insurance company approved my surgery and I had a date. I went on a liquid diet for 10 days prior to my surgery date. I followed the diet religiously.

June 8, I had surgery. That morning I weighed in at 242. I was out of bed walking around after my surgery, I went home in 2 days. I was riding again in 2 weeks. I have not been sick, thrown up or had any health issues at all. I had my 5 month appointment and don't have to go back for 7 months. My weight loss is above average, my blood work is excellent. To date I have lost almost 80 lbs. I have another 20 - 30 to go. I eat a healthy diet, I don't drink alcohol, don't eat any refined sugar, etc.

The question I get most often is "why couldn't I have done this without surgery?". Because their are no consequences. If I choose to over eat or choose to eat the wrong thing, I will be miserable. Who wants to be miserable?

Of course this is all pretty new. I work at it everyday and have kept that positive attitude and my commitment to being healthy and happy. This is my time, for me and my horses!

2 comments:

  1. WOW! You did it! I think making the commitment and sticking to it with resolution says so much for you. Kind of like quitting smoking. Not a day goes by I do not want a cigarette. The difference is I decided I would not yield. I have not purchased any in six months. I have not even smoked one in a month. The hardest part is being around other people who smoke. Your hardest part will be remembering the taste of the foods you can no longer eat. I guess it is the will power to say I cannot. Hurrah, hurrah, hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quitting smoking is a big deal! Congratulations. What a great thing you did for YOURSELF! I have heard from others that the desire to smoke never really leaves you. That has to be extremely difficult. I wish my husband would quit smoking, he tries and tries but can never stop completely. My brother on the other hand was smoking almost 3 packs a day and quit cold turkey about 4 years ago. Just decided one day that he wasn't going to smoke anymore and quit. Hasn't smoked since.

    ReplyDelete