Monday, November 30, 2009

Lessons learned

I moved to a new boarding facility several months ago. It is an amazing facility with probably the best footing I have ever ridden in. It has a large indoor arena, larger outdoor, 150+ acres of land to ride on, very nice stalls with comfort flooring, and the best hay that money can buy. I was so excited to be there and wanted to get so much done. I was riding 4-5 days a week working on stops, spins and perfecting my circles and was just motoring right along. I was a happy, happy girl. Then I started noticing that Semper wasn't happy. He was getting right down cranky. The straw that broke the camels back was an evening ride that he was just obnoxious. He ran through the bridle, kicked at my spur, wouldn't listen to cues, he was just being an ass. This is extremely out of character for him. He is a pleaser. I tell my friends and family that he is the only male in my life that asks me everyday "what can I do to make you happy today?". And he had quit asking. I knew it wasn't a pain issue. He had just had a massage therapy session, I hadn't changed bridles, or saddles, or saddle pads. His feet are in great shape, he is fit and fat. But still something was wrong. After that fateful ride - it was the worst ride that I have ever had on this horse, ever - I went home upset and confused. What was the deal? What was causing this change in personality in my best friend? I didn't even go to the barn the next night. I started telling my husband of my woe's and he said (he is not a horse person, so this is pretty insightful for him) "maybe it is too much for him". That got me to thinking... Maybe it was too much for him to be schooled 4 or 5 days a week, maybe he is just sick to death of loping circles, stopping and spinning in that wonderful footing. I was so focused on being ready for next years show season and so excited about the new facility and all that I could get done, that I lost sight of my horses "feelings". I am pretty sure he doesn't give a hoot about the footing, about next years show season or the fact that I am excited about it. The thing is that you hear about this all the time. Horses burning out and getting show sour, etc. I, for the the life of me, don't know what I was thinking? I should have known better or at least been able to figure it out on my own - wouldn't you think? I got so wrapped up in my own little world, I forgot about the most important part - my partner.

I am still riding 4 to 5 days a week but only schooling 2 or 3. I have a lesson one night and try to work him a couple times in between. The other days I have been trail riding or fooling around on him bareback. No pressure, just goofing around. I took him to work cows this weekend which he and I both enjoy and we did really well. He is getting back to his old self and starting to enjoy my company again. Lesson learned.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like things are moving along for you. Poor guy. His goals were not yours, I guess. He just wants to do what you want him to and have fun doing it. He has no clue about the showing thing or your goals. You want him happy, he wants you happy becaue that makes him happy. Just the circle of life, I guess. How is the weight loss going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lose about 2 lbs a week consistantly. I have 17 more lbs to go to make my stated goal weight. I think that as time passes the weight loss will start to slow down and I am o.k. with that. I made it through my first big holiday. I cooked the traditional turkey dinner for my family. Left the table feeling satisfied and successful. It really has been a re-programming of my lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete