Thursday, December 10, 2009

Cold Weather

It has been out of the ordinary cold here in northern CA. I went out to ride on Monday and Wednesday nights and it was 31 degrees at 6pm. I know some of you are thinking that is nothing, but for me, that is cold! I am a California native and anything below about 50 is too cold. I decided to ride bareback so my butt wouldn't freeze. I got in about 30 minutes before I couldn't feel my fingers. It was just ridiculous. I kept thinking that it might not be good for horses to have to deep breath that cold air. Anyone have any opinions on that? I know Semper was glad to get out and move around and he was an extremely good boy, meaning he didn't dump me in the dark, on the way to the indoor arena!

I am going to Las Vegas on Friday to do some shopping at Cowboy Christmas. I have been looking forward to this trip for some time. This is my first trip to Vegas so I guess you could say I am a "Vegas Virgin". I hope I can remember to do all the things that friends and family have suggested that we do while we are there.

We have not been doing our Wednesday night lessons because everyone has been busy over the holidays and it has been "colder than a witches tit" as my brother would say. I am going to go ride my filly that is up at the trainers the week between Christmas and New Years. She will have had 3 months of training and the trainer is happy with her progress. I also have to make an appointment to have my two stud colts "brain surgery" (gelded) done.

1 comment:

  1. Do not feel bad at all. I am 55 and when I am outside doing anything when the temp is below 40, my fingers become numb. No matter what type gloves I wear. Next to go are the toes. Then I am done. Winter the beasties are lucky they are brushed, combed and picked once a week. (We are awaiting a snowstorm-2-3 inches overnight. Such fun.)

    ReplyDelete