Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Benchmark...100 lbs!

This morning the scale said that I have lost 100 lbs. Only 2 lbs to go to goal. I won't make it by mid February but darn close. The more weight I lose the more noticeable the weight loss is. Does that make sense? When I was heavy and lost say 5 lbs you couldn't tell. Now if I lose 5 lbs, it makes a difference. You can see it.

I have seen old friends that I have known for years who don't recognize me. At first I was kind of butt hurt about people not recognizing me because I didn't think that I looked that different. My husband and daughter set me straight. They said that I do look different and I should go look at pictures. I went back and looked at pictures from the day of the Kentucky Derby 2009 and then the pictures that were taken before Christmas. I do look different. The same, but different.

It was the Derby Day photos that put me over the edge and helped me make the decision to have surgery. That was in April. I called the doctors office the next week and scheduled surgery.



Here is one of me in December just before Christmas with my niece (Mrs. Claus) and a friend.

My face is basically the same just thinner, I have a neck now, and the spare tire is going, going, gone.

My riding has greatly improved and I am sure my horse is thanking me over and over. Getting on and off is easy. And that is something considering Semper's size. I don't feel uncomfortable on my filly. I owned her full brother and traded him off because I felt he was too small for a person of my weight. I can sit and cross my legs (either way), I can sit in a chair with arms and when I stand up it doesn't stick on my butt. I am comfortable sitting on a plane. We had flown to Seattle just before I had surgery and I was embarrassed and very self conscience of how much bigger I was than the seat. I didn't need a seat belt extension but it was not pretty. I am happy with my decision, wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but it's been a wonderful journey for me.

4 comments:

  1. WOW! honnestly, you might think you look the same, but for me, If it wasn't for your hair and knowing that you had to be in the picture... I would've NEVER recognized you! What type of surgery did you have? Gastric Bypass? Has it caused pain, discomforts? Did it leave scars? How much did you weigh before you got the surgery (you do not have to answer)?... Sorry for all the questions, but I would have about 80 lbs to lose and I don't seem to be able to do it on my own, dieting, exercise, nothing will work, I've tried most everything!
    WAY TO GO on the weight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had gastric bypass in June 2009. It was done laproscopically through 5 tiny incisions and left no scars. I have not been sick and had any pain from the surgery. Their are things that I just can't eat or drink anymore because they make me feel uncomfortable - like I just pigged out at a huge thanksgiving dinner. I have not thrown up or had any "dumping" episodes at all. I do follow the rules and have committed to a complete lifestyle change. Like I don't drink alcohol anymore nor do I eat any refined sugar. At my first appointment I weighed in at 252 lbs. I had been heavier than that in the past. I posted in Nov. 2009 about how I became overweight, what lead to the decision to pursue gastric bypass, and the goals I set for myself. I am 49 this year and I felt that I didn't have the rest of my life to mess around with fad diets and exercise programs. I felt like I was running out of time to do all the things I had been dreaming of doing and obesity was holding me back from doing - emotionally and physically.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, certainly thank you for sharing your information. I really appreciate the info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not realize how much weight (and smoking) really affected how I feel. I quit smoking and have lost about ten pounds. I need to lose more but then I need to buy new clothes, especially jeans, and cannot afford that right now. I congratualate you on making the decision and sticking with it. Hurrah for you!!

    ReplyDelete