Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Scooter update

Scooter had a vet appointment last Thursday. He had some vaccinations, his teeth done - they removed four caps, gum tissue attached and were generous enough to leave them for me in a plastic baggy - can you say yuck? And he had his sheath cleaned. That was a lot for the poor guy. I am sure that it is a day he would prefer to forget. I let him have a couple days off. Actually, I didn't want him associating me with any part of what they did to him on Thursday. I just write the checks. And I am sure it will be a whopper. Saturday I went out saddled him, took he and Lil to the indoor arena. Tied him outside while I worked Lil. He kicked, pawed and generally carried on like a complete ass the entire time. He kicks at the air. He bucks in place. He paws the ground like a fiend. I finished with Lil, tied her up and got him. He went right to work on the lunge line. Stayed with me the whole time. He is learning "whoa" on the lunge line very well. He doesn't pull on me. He keeps an ear on me and really pays attention. I worked him for about 30 minutes then took both of them back to the barn. He has had a bath before but never in a wash rack. He walked in and stood there like a gentleman. He wasn't too sure about the foamer. The warm water convinced him that this wasn't all that bad. It is funny how they melt into the warm water and just stand patiently. After his bath, I tied him to the fence to dry. Here we go again. Kicking the panels, digging a hole to China. I can't leave him because the barn owner gets annoyed when his stuff gets destroyed - rightfully so. I moved him into the barn and he continued his obnoxious behavior. Then I moved him to a tie out way over by the indoor. Nothing for him to kick, he can dig a hole or whatever. I left him there while I took care of Lil. I took my time, gave her a good bath, washed and conditioned her mane and tail, let her graze while she dried. All the while he was tied to the thinking post carrying on like a fool.

I was really frustrated when I left on Saturday. I was hoping to see some decrease in his behavior but I think it is escalating. I can't spend hours out at the barn while he works it out. I am worried that giving him an hour or two at a time is just ingraining this behavior. I skipped Sunday. Monday night I went out and got he and Lil and tied him to the thinking post while I rode. No big surprise. He carried on and on and on. When I was done with Lil, I lunged him and he went right to work. He is telling me that he wants a job and that he willing. My next step is to speak to the asst trainer and see if I can pay him to tie Scooter out and just leave him (but keep an eye on him). If he would tie him up at lunch I could be there by 5pm to untie him and put him away. Tonight I am going to put a snaffle bit on him over his halter and let him think on that while he is tied up.

Recap: he has been saddle 6 times and now stands tied while being saddled. Lunges without pulling and pays attention. Stops nicely when you say "whoa". Will yield his hind quarters, shoulders with very little pressure. He will flex both directions with little pressure. He could care less about the rope being around his legs, hind quarters etc. Showing a lot of try and willingness to please. Tying sucks. He gets a big fat F in tying.

4 comments:

  1. That tying issue must be frustrating. Milo used to be impatient, but never to that degree. He would skitter around a little, chew on the lead, than eventually cock and hip and deal with it. I wish I had better advise...but it sounds like a good plan to ask the assist trainer to help you out. It seems he just needs to be on the thinking post for a while and learn how to deal with it. Hope things work out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He doesn't pull back or chew on the lead which is good. He just can't stand still. And the kicking the wall thing is beyond annoying. I think just letting him figure it out by wearing himself out is the way to go. :) Thanks for your input.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See if you can rig up a high line - like people doing overnight camping. It must be properly done and secure, but once you get it up you can tie safely in a way that allows the horse to determine the degree of movement - he can spin in circles under the line if he feels like it, or paw or whatever - but there are no walls to kick. Pretty soon, he'll figure out its less work to stand still and rest. The ability to make a choice to move or stand will build in a good tying foundation.

    This is very hard for young horses to learn so be patient - don't focus on the bad, just focus on all the good achievements you've got. He's really doing well for his age. Just keep chipping away at the tying but don't worry too much - it'll come and at some point I expect the problem will vanish. Make very sure you aren't (inadvertently) giving him a release/reinforcement - by saying/yelling something to him or approaching him when he paws or kicks - he's trying to get your attention so ignore him when he paws and kicks and praise him (effusively) when he stands still.

    Good luck, but don't sweat it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate - You are right- he is trying to get my attention. I try to put him somewhere that he can not see me or anyone one else for that matter. But where I can still keep an eye on him. I ignore him until I am ready to put him to work or put him away. He wants to work or do something, he should be careful what he wishes for. :) I am sure it is all going to work out. I am an instant gratification kind of girl so patience isn't my strong suit. It is one of those things that I am working on. :)

    ReplyDelete