Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Semper, Scooter and the big dilemma

I have been working with Scooter about 4 days a week. Lunging, round penning, leading, saddling, bridling, etc. A couple of nights ago when I was working with him, the asst. trainer was in the arena and offered to work with him a little. We took him in the round pen and he put a foot in the stirrup and bounced around for about 15 minutes. Scooter could have cared less. He didn't want to stand still at first but he really didn't get stupid, just fidgety. It took about 5 minutes for him to just stand there and take it.

I decided it was time for me to get on so I enlisted Laura's help and off we went. Laura's job was to call 911 if I got bucked off! I took him out, saddled him and off to the round pen we went. I worked him pretty hard in the round pen. First just moving him around, then I "bitted him up" a little and worked him, then a little more and worked him around. I figured this was as good as a time as any. I put a foot in the stirrup and bounced around and stood up. Then down, then up, then down. He stood still and gave me the "just do it already" look. I went to the other side and did the same thing. Again - nothing. So I put a leg over and relaxed in the saddle. Sat still for a minute and let him think about me being there. Pulled his head from side to side. Scratched and stroked his head, neck, and butt. Nothing. He was enjoying the attention and just stood still and relaxed. Next I ask him to move by banging his sides with my legs. His feet were stuck to the ground. He had a bridle and halter with a lead rope on. I took the end of the lead rope and gave him a light over and under while I kicked him and he walked off. We walked around the round pen both directions and he was as quiet and relaxed as could be. When he would start to stop I would bang his sides or use the lead rope and he would keep moving. I asked him to speed it up and he trotted off. Nice and smooth without any silliness. He was a perfect gentleman. After about 20 minutes of him walking and trotting, I got off and let him stand tied. He was a total brat about having to stand tied but I just ignored him and went on with the rest of my ride on Lily. I was so pleased with his performance in the round pen that I was willing to forgive the rest!

Semper is a big baby. Huge. He lost a shoe and he walks with an extremely exaggerated limp and thinks that his life is over. He is out on pasture, there is lots of mud, and it is rainy and cold. He has a blanket on and is still filthy. He is not a happy camper. He has a dry place to eat and get out of the rain and mud. But I can tell he is miserable. Him being home didn't work out as well as I had planned. Him being home was the only way that I could have Scooter at SCR and work on him. I had to take Semper back to SCR so that the shoer could replace the missing shoe and decided that he was just going to stay there and that Scooter was going to have to come back home. I am kind of disappointed because he was coming along so well but I just can't work it out to keep both of them and Ms Lily there. Ms Lily is doing really well and she has NO winter coat. I really couldn't bring her home even if I wanted to.

Of the positive side, Semper is very happy to be back at SCR and to have his shoe on. On the negative, Scooter is not a happy camper. He got a taste of the good life and since he has been home I don't think that he has come out of the barn.

My New Years Resolution is to get Scooter and Bob Harley going. Scooter - I am going to continue working myself and Bob is going to go to a trainer. If I am successful I will have 5 horses under saddle. There is no way for me to keep 5 horses going. Along with my New Years resolution I am going to have some hard choices to make in the next 12 months. Who to keep and who to part with. They are all so much a part of me that I feel like such a dirt bag even thinking about selling one.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you had a fabulous first ride on Scooter. Congrats. You must have Been very proud of him.

    ReplyDelete