Sunday, January 9, 2011

Judges Seminar

Yesterday I spent the day in a Reined Cowhorse Judging Seminar. It was a really good day and there were several industry icons in attendance. Ron Emmons, Bobby Ingersole, Andy Anderson, Bill Enk to name a few. My husband and I went as auditors with no plans on taking the test. Even though you know what you are supposed to be doing when you are in the arena showing, you really don't get the full picture until you sit in the judges chair. Riding today I could hear them saying "check minus" "check" etc. It made me realize that I was giving away 1/2 points all over the place. Semper can do the maneuvers at least average and some above average, there should be no reason for him to ever get a check minus. Maybe the stops are an exception to that but if he stops clean, even if he doesn't stop big, they will be a check and not a check minus. I need to work on "raising my expectations" (Thank you Regina). The clinic was free with my paid club membership, I learned a lot, got to visit with some awesome horse people and came out with a renewed attitude about where I want to be.

Scooter and I spent some time together today. I took him out to give him a second dose of his strangles vaccine and thought that I would just let him graze for a few minutes while I brushed him. He seemed to enjoy the attention. He was quiet and relaxed. I slipped my spurs off and asked my husband to give me a leg up. Scooter had a halter on and I just pulled his head to my left side and laid my body across his back. Just hung out there for a few minutes and let him have his head back. He went back to grazing. So I wiggled about, patted his butt, flanks, neck and wiggled some more. He didn't even move. I asked him to stop grazing and I swung a leg over, fully prepared to swing off at the drop of a hat. He let out a big sigh and just stood there. I let him have his head and he went back to eating. I wiggled around, rubbed my hands and legs all around and he just stood there lazily grazing. I asked him to lift his head and walk off and he did. Turned when asked. Stopped when asked. I was on him for about 20 minutes just goofing around. I slid off and petted and brushed him some more. The strange thing is that when I was sitting on him bareback, he felt relaxed. It made me feel relaxed being up there. I have ridden all my horses bareback and usually the first time they aren't really sure about being ridden bareback and you can tell they are nervous and unsure. He was relaxed, he was quiet, he didn't tense any muscles, didn't gawk around or skid or scoot off. So far everything that I have put in front of him (with the exception of being tied) he has accepted without a fuss and remembered the next time around. What more can I ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment