Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Friday

Last weekend I went to another Ranch Versatility Clinic and Show. I took Friday and Monday off and spent the time riding and horsing around. Boy-O-Boy, I could get used to doing that full time. Anybody out there know of a job where you get paid big bucks for spending time working on your horses and your horsemanship? Hmmm... Probably not.


Friday I spent with the new trainer that I have been working with. Let's call her RD. RD is a dedicated wife and mother first and foremost. I appreciate and respect that. It is important to me that I spend time with people that share the same set of core values that I believe in. "Surround yourself by quality people", that is what my mom used to say. I am very lucky and thankful to have a lot of quality people in my life. RD is a ranch wife and I would venture to say one of the hardest working women I have ever met. With that said, it appears to me that she loves her life. She has an easy smile, a pleasant way, an unbridled confidence and a tremendous work ethic. She has been working with Lily and they seem to just "click". I rode all three horses with her on Friday. Since I was taking Lily to the clinic I rode her first. I planned on riding her in the trail and ranch riding portion of the clinic and Semper on the cow work and reining. Lily has come so far. I am excited to see where she is going to be in February or March. Really excited, like a kid waiting to go to Disneyland for the first time excited. Almost giddy. She is so quick and reactive - but in a positive way. All that energy is being focused. Have you ever seen the Pantene commercial where the lady's hair is a wild, dried out mess? She looks confused and distraught, like she stuck her finger in the light socket? Then she uses the shampoo and her hair is all pretty, sleek and controlled and she looks confident. That is what it reminds me of. (Don't ask me where these comparisons come from, I haven't a clue.) All the beauty and ability is there but everything is a frazzled, out of control, crazy mess. You knew it could be stunning and refined, it just needed something to rein in the chaos (pardon the pun). RD is taming the mess, smoothing out the tangles, and refining the look. She is doing it with a confident hand and unrivalled leadership. Lily is eating it up.

Semper was a dream to ride on Friday. He floated around, soft in the bridle, and willing. Since he was being so good and was going to have a long weekend of riding ahead we didn't ask to much of him on Friday.

Next I rode Scooter. Have I mentioned that I love that silly little red horse? He is a goober. I think I always pick the goobers. Look at Semper. It is like we are kindred spirits - us goobers. In a lot of ways, Scooter reminds me of Semp. Must be a gelding thing? Anyway... he was his usual self, he carried on like a fool while he was tied up waiting for his turn, then under saddle he was happy and as good natured as a pig in slop. I asked RD to keep him for the weekend and to leave him tied - a lot. She obliged and said she would even take him for a ride to work on getting his head down more correct.

So off I went with Lily and Semper for the weekend. I meant to got some roping pointers from RD before I left but I was so wrapped up in everything that had gone on during the day, that I completely forgot. Oops. More on that one later.

2 comments:

  1. kel--You sure have been busy...and with lots of fun stuff. I loved hearing about it. Cheers--Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura - And I have yet to get down your way! I am so disappointed that I didn't to ride on the beach this summer.

    ReplyDelete