Monday, October 5, 2009

Snaffle Bit Furturity

Spent the weekend in Reno at the Snaffle Bit. Went to some of the sale on Saturday, shopped and watched the finals on Sunday. Wow there some nice horses there. I don't know Zane Davis, haven't heard much about him, but he did an excellent job all around. Congrats to him on his win. Felt bad for Tod Bergen when his horse went down, he was in the lead and when he came off you could just see the disappointment in his face. He must have nerves of steel to ride 4 horses in the open finals for 4 different owners. The two ladies in the finals did an amazing job. Just getting there is amazing, but they definitely held there own in the male dominated field. One thing that I noticed is how some very good riders aren't "pretty" riders. Tod Bergen is a pretty rider, Boyd Rice, Sandy Collier, Zane Davis are pretty riders. Todd Crawford, Ken Wold, John Ward - not so much. They are all excellent horsemen, but some just have more finesse than others.

The shopping wasn't that great. Not near as many booths as last year, lots of belts and purses, but since I am not really a girly-girl that didn't interest me. Why is it that when I find something I like it is always the most expensive? I found a nice Tom Balding bit that I really liked until I saw the price - $515. It wasn't that nice. I also found a pair of romel reins that I liked and they were $2199. Way to rich for my blood. But they were very nice. Almost like art work instead of tack.

We didn't watch the sale very long but I felt like the prices were either really good or really bad. None that just seemed in the middle. If your horse was average it wasn't going to bring an average price it was going to go for less than what it should. If your horse was exceptional or above average then you were going to get a really good chunk of change. Crazy.

And it was cold. I don't think it got above 45 degrees inside the building all day on Sunday. It snowed on the way home. I am a CA girl, granted a Northern CA girl, but snow just isn't my thing, it is wet, cold and basically makes me miserable.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I hear ya!!! Snow's the worst, I'm in Canada... it's too cold, too wet, too slippery and there's always too much of it to move around!
    Way to go on your shows! I hope you had a blast!

    ReplyDelete